My toddler is really into helping me bake these days. And I love having the help. We had a bag of apples that I needed to do something with soon, so I figured let’s make some Apple Cinnamon Muffins.
It’s a perfect fall day for some apples, plus it will make the house smell fantastic!
Baking is a lot of fun with my son. I let him add he ingredients as we go. And he even helped scoop the batter into the muffin tins. And at the end, I brushed the butter on top and he dipped it into the cinnamon sugar mix.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
2 c all-purpose flour (+ 2 teaspoons for coating apples)
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 t ground cinnamon (+ 1/2 t for apples)
2 c diced apples
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 t pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
For the Topping:
½ cup butter, melted
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray muffin tins or coat well with shortening or butter and flour, discard excess flour from the tins.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Toss apples and 2 teaspoons of flour to coat apples in a separate bowl. Set aside.
4. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg (one at a time) the add vanilla.
5. Gently fold in flour then milk. Stir until just combined. Fold in diced apples and scoop mixture into prepared muffin tins, filling about ⅔ to ¾ full. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
6. Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly. Mix together granulated sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl and set aside.
7. Once muffins are ready, remove from the oven and cool slightly in tin. Then, remove each muffin and dip first into the butter and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Allow to cool.